Get involved in activities for Waltham Forest Bike Month this June! Whether it’s choosing to bike to work or spending a weekend cycling with family and friends, make sure you get on two wheels this June.
Saturday 10 June -11am to 4pm - Higham Hill C.O.G Road Safety Event
Get your bike road ready with security marking, stands from local cycle shops and Dr Bike at this Emergency
Sunday 11 June - 10am to 3pm - Bike Maintenance Course
Learn to look after your bike on our FREE bike maintenance course. Limited spaces available. Click here to book
Thursday 15 June - National Air Quality Day
Try cycling to work or school to reduce your air pollution footprint. Local businesses can join our Air Quality pledge, saying they will use sustainable methods of transport. Contact our Air Quality Officer for details
Friday 16 June - 9:30am to 3pm - Mini Tour de Waltham Forest
Come along to Leyton Jubilee Park to watch 16 local schools compete in a bike race
Saturday 17 June - 1.45pm - Led Mini-Holland Cycle with Waltham Forest Cycling Campaign
Explore the borough’s new cycling infrastructure on Waltham Forest Cycling Campaign family friendly bike ride. For more information click here
Saturday 24th June - 11:30am to 6pm - Le Tour de Waltham Forest
Race in the borough’s annual cycle race, setting off from Leyton Summer Fest. Routes available for all ages and abilities. Click here to sign up
AND DON’T FORGET ABOUT EVERYTHING ALREADY ON OFFER TO HELP GET YOU CYCLING:
Cycle hubs - there are now six cycle hubs conveniently located at stations around the borough. Sign up for only £25 a year to get access to safe, secure bike storage
FeelGoodWF App - log your physical activity such as cycling on our FeelGoodWF app to earn rewards. Download from Apple app store or Google Play
Cycle training - not confident on a bike? Why not book onto one of our free cycle training sessions in Leyton Jubilee Park to learn for the first time or up your skills. Sessions are available for all ages and abilities. Click here to sign up
Cargo bike hire - some loads are too heavy to carry, so why not hire one of our Cargo Bikes to take the kids to school or bring home a big load of shopping? Available for up to 14 days at a time, one of our five cargo bike models will meet your needs. Click here for more information
Did you know.....
- There are over one billion bikes in the world
- The longest tandem bike ever built had 35 seats and was about 67 feet long
- 3.5 million cycles were sold in Great Britain in 2015
- The most expensive bike ever, a Trek Madone or the "Butterfly Bike" designed by artist Damien Hirst, was auctioned for $500,000 at Sotherby's
- Cycling helps you maintain a healthy weight and enables regular exercise; which alongside a balanced diet can improve your body’s health reducing the risk of chronic illnesses
- Cycling can increase your self-esteem and boost your mood
- At normal speed, average calorie consumption is around 700 per hour. However, it is estimated that cycling at 25 mph will typically burn– 1374 calories per hour!
- On a bicycle, you can travel three times faster than you can walk, using the same amount of energy
- The fastest speed ever recorded on a bicycle is 167mph.