FREE bike check-up:
Bring your bike to one of our FREE Dr Bike stands across the borough for a pre-winter check-up. Our team of expert mechanics will check over tyres, gears, brakes and more there and then, and if there’s a bigger problem will tell you what’s wrong so that you can get your bike fixed at the nearest bike shop.
We will be positioned at:
- Town Hall on Tuesday 21 February 10am-3pm
- Leytonstone Station at the end of Church Lane on Saturday 4 March 10am-3pm
Top tips to staying safe to keep you pedaling in winter:
Winter is no obstacle to cycling if you wear the right gear to keep warm, dry and visible.
- Clothing - waterproof clothing such as gloves and a jacket will keep you warm and dry, its also handy to have a pair of waterproof over-trousers in case you get caught in a downpour
- Stay seen - the nights are drawing in and chances are you'll be cycling in the dark. Reflective materials on your clothing or your bike help you stay visible to other road users. Don't forget your lights too, come along to one of our Dr Bike sessions where we're giving lights away for FREE
- Mudguards - fit some mudguards or buy a set of removable ones that you can carry in your bag for when it rains.This will keep you (and the cyclist behind you) from getting wet and dirty
- Tyres and brakes - wet, cold roads make punctures more likely. So examine your tyres regularly, replace tyres that look worn (tyres with a Kevlar layer improve puncture protection), and check that your brakes work before setting off.